We take our responsibility to look after personal data very seriously and we ensure that respecting privacy is our top priority. Like all organisations who collect and use personal data, WB-UK Women's Baseball UK is subject to the requirements set out in the General Data Protection Regulation (‘GDPR’). Our privacy statement explains how WB-UK Women's Baseball UK collects, uses and looks after personal data. Personal data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable living person. This definition of this may be found in the Data Protection Act 2018.
The data protection principles
The GDPR includes six principles that organisations must apply when they collect and use personal data. These principles are:
- Personal data must be processed in a manner which is lawful, fair and transparent. This means that when we collect and use personal information we must have a lawful basis for doing so, we must consider the rights and interests of the person the data is about, and provide clear information about our use of the data.
- Personal data must be collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not used in any ways which are incompatible with those purposes. When we collect personal data we must be very clear about why we need it and what we'll do with it. If we collect personal data for one purpose may not use it for an unconnected purpose.
- Personal data we collect must be adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purposes for which it is used. This means must make sure that we only collect and use personal data that is strictly necessary for our stated purpose or purposes.
- Personal data must be accurate, and where necessary, kept up to date. We are required to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal data held is correct and kept up to date. This means that from time to time, we'll review the personal data we hold and we may contact you to make sure the personal data we have about you is current and does not contain any errors.
- Personal data must be kept in a format which allows identification for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it is used. In some cases, it may only necessary for us to be able to directly identify an individual for a short period of time. When we no longer need to be able to identify an individual we will anonymise the personal data. Where personal data is anonymised and the data subject in no longer identifiable that data will cease to be personal data.
Personal data must be used in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the data. This means that our policies, procedures, systems and working practices must ensure that personal data is protected from unlawful access and is kept secure at all times.
Before we collect and use personal data, WB-UK Women's Baseball UK must be able to demonstrate that there is a lawful basis for us to do so. GDPR provides six lawful bases for processing personal data:
- Consent: when you have explicitly told us that we may collect and use your personal data – for example by asking us to add you to one of our mailing lists.
- Contract: when we need to collect and use personal data to enter into or perform a contract – for example if you receive funding from us.
- Legal obligation – when we need to collect and use personal data to carry out our legal duties – for example to respond to a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Vital interests: when we need to collect and use personal data to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another person – for example by contacting the relevant authorities if we believe an individual is likely to come to immediate harm.
- Public task: when we need to collect and use personal data to carry out one of our official tasks, or a task that's in the public interest – for example when we carry out surveys about sports participation to create official statistics.
- Legitimate interests: when we need to collect and use personal data to pursue the legitimate interests of WB-UK Women's Baseball UK or a third party, unless doing so would interfere with your rights and freedoms – for example when we're dealing with complaints about a Club we have funded.
Our lawful basis for collecting and using personal data varies depending on why we have collected it and what we'll do with it. Whenever WB-UK Women's Baseball UK collects personal data directly from you we aim to set out our lawful basis as clearly as we can using pop-up messages, or links to the information you need. If we receive personal data about you from a third party, we'll use reasonable efforts to identify our lawful basis and to inform you of this where it's possible and practical for us to do so.
Why we need to collect personal data
WB-UK Women's Baseball UK collects and uses personal data for a variety of purposes including:
- Staff selection and recruitment
- Grant applications
- Research into physical activity
- Responding to correspondence from members of the public
- Managing requests to be added to a WB-UK Women's Baseball UK mailing list
- Complying with regulatory and financial requirements
- Promoting and encouraging participation in sport and physical activity.
When we collect personal data directly from you, we'll provide specific and detailed information about why we need to do so.
About the personal data we collect and use
WB-UK Women's Baseball UK collects a range of personal data including:
- Names and contact details (including postal and email addresses and telephone numbers)
- Biographical information such as participation in sport, membership of sports clubs and interest in, or opinions.
- Information about ethnicity, sexual orientation, health related data or other special category personal data where it's necessary and relevant for a specific purpose
- Photographs, including for publicity or promotional purposes.
When we collect and use personal data directly from you, we aim to provide specific and detailed information about the categories of personal data involved.
How we share personal data
In some cases, where there is a lawful basis for us to do so we may share personal data with third parties such as the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, external auditors, the Information Commissioner’s Office, the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman or other trusted partners and funded organisations. Where possible we'll tell you if your personal data will be shared, and the third parties the data be shared with, at the time we collect your personal data.
If we're required by law to disclose personal data we will do so, in keeping with our obligations.
WB-UK Women's Baseball UK never sells personal data to third parties for any purpose, and we do not collect or compile personal data for dissemination to third parties for marketing purposes.
How long we keep personal data
All the personal data that we collect and hold is kept in accordance with our File Retention Schedule. This Schedule is guided by the legislative and regulatory frameworks we are subject to and helps us to ensure that we do not keep personal data for longer than is necessary for the purpose(s) it was collected for.
The GDPR gives individuals a number of rights in relation to any personal data an organisation holds about them and it is WB-UK Women's Baseball UK's policy to make it as easy as possible for people to exercise these rights.
Under GDPR all individuals are entitled to be told what personal data an organisation holds about them, and to receive copies of that information, free of charge, within one month.
You can make a subject access request to WB-UK Women's Baseball UK by contacting: [email protected]
Rectification and erasure
If you believe that WB-UK Women's Baseball UK is holding inaccurate information about you, you're entitled to ask us to rectify that data. In addition, if you believe that WB-UK Women's Baseball UK no longer has a lawful basis to use your personal data, you can ask us to delete it.
The right to rectification and erasure is not absolute, but we will consider any requests carefully and comply with such requests where it's appropriate for us to do so. You can ask to have your personal data rectified or erased by contacting: [email protected]
If our lawful basis for collecting and using your personal data was consent, then you're entitled to withdraw that consent at any time. You do not need to give a reason for withdrawing your consent and we are required to comply promptly. You can inform us that you wish to withdraw consent by contacting: [email protected]
If you're in any way dissatisfied with the way we have handled your personal data, WB-UK Women's Baseball UK provides a Complaints Procedure. In addition, regardless of whether you make a complaint under our Procedure you're entitled to lodge a complaint about our data handling practices with the Information Commissioner by emailing: [email protected]